The trees are blooming, daffodils are poking through the ground, and that can only mean one thing… Spring is around the corner!
Spring in Boston is a magical season. We wait with great anticipation for nice weather to come. And as soon as it hits 50 degrees, you’ll see people in shorts and a t-shirt. Spectators from other parts of the country probably think we’re crazy – but so is Boston weather.
At The Paint Bar, Spring weather means we’re gearing up for April Break camp and we couldn’t be more excited!
Spring is the theme of the week which means your kids will be bringing home bright and colorful pieces of art to decorate your house.
We’ll start the week off by making an official Spring door sign! Can’t make it to camp? That’s ok! Here’s how you can make the door sign at home.
What you’ll need:
- 12″ x 12″ inch piece of wood – we get ours from Home Depot
- Tempera paint (color of your choosing)
- Paper to cut out letters for the word “WELCOME” (We chose gold, glitter paper!)
- Green construction paper – if you are able to get a few color variations of green that’s ideal – but just one kind of green works too
- Different colored paper for the flowers – we used different variations of pink
- Elmers Glue
- 1 Big Brush to paint the background
- Choose your favorite color tempera paint – we recommend a lighter color so you can see the cool pattern of the wood through the paint!
- While the paint dries, use your scissors and carefully cut out letters to spell “WELCOME” or whatever you want your sign to say.
- Glue your letters down on the top of the wood.
- Then cut out a 12″ x 2″ inch piece of green construction paper that is going to be used for the grass.
- Make small cuts along the top of the paper to get the grassy feel!
- Then glue the bottom half of the paper to the bottom of the wood, allowing the top pieces to pop off and create a textured look.
- Cut out 3 stems using green construction paper that are each about a 1/2″ x 5″ inches.
- Glue those on top of the grass.
- Cut out 3 flower shapes from any colorful paper you have!
- Glue each flower shape on top of each stem.
- Cut out 3 leaves using green construction paper – this is where we used a lighter color green, but again that is optional. We usually like to describe the leaf shape as a similar shape to an
- almond, or imagine two parentheses attached together!
- Glue the petals down onto the left side of the stems.
- Choose your 3 favorite colored rhinestones and glue those to the middle of each of the flowers.
And voilá! You now have a beautiful door sign for everyone to see.
Home Depot sells small gold hooks that you can screw into the top and hang from any nail.
We’d love to see your finish masterpieces, so make sure to email them to [email protected]
If you don’t want the mess in your house, then send your kids to us! Click on this link to be taken to our Kids/Family page and sign up for the day that works best for you. We’ll be making this door sign on Tuesday, April 16th, 2019.